Bibliographic Metadata Task Group
The Bibliographic Metadata Task Group is a re-organization and successor of the DCMI/RDA Task Group.
The Task Group leaders are Gordon Dunsire and Diane Hillmann.
To define components of current and emerging library, publishing, and related bibliographic metadata standards as RDF vocabularies for use in developing Dublin Core application profiles and semantic mappings.
Tasks for 2012 identified at the 26 April 2012 meeting are:
- Task: Contribute well-formed use cases to the DCMI Architecture Forum discussion on the Dublin Core abstract model (DCAM) and the RDF Working Group discussion on named graphs, if and when the opportunity arises.
- Action: Interested members of the Bibliographic Metadata Task Group to join the DC-ARCHITECTURE and DC-PROVENANCE mail lists and submit appropriate use cases in reponse to current and future calls. Also monitor the discussions of the RDF Working Group and the Provenance Working Group and respond to any calls for public submissions.
- Timespan: May-October 2012 (approximate).
- Task: Explore "obvious" mappings between known element sets and between value vocabularies, and identify issues, solutions, etc.
- Action: Volunteers to contribute information about existing and developing alignments and mappings (what, who, when, etc.) to the Task Group wiki.
- Timespan: Ongoing.
- Maps between bibliographic vocabularies
- Task: Give feedback on the draft ISBD-RDA/ONIX alignment and methodology.
- Action: Members to make comments and suggestions in response to the DC-RDA email on ISBD to RDA/ONIX mapping.
- Outcome: The alignment and methodology were approved at the August 2012 meetings of the ISBD Review Group in Helsinki, Finland. Version 1.1 of Mapping of ISBD area 0 vocabularies to RDA/ONIX Framework vocabularies and a discussion paper were submitted to JSC/RDA and the JSC response has been published.
- Task: Give feedback on the draft IFLA guidelines on translations of namespaces.
- Action: Members to make comments and suggestions in response to the DC-RDA email on Guidelines on translations of IFLA namespaces. Feedback should be emailed to DC-RDA.
- Outcome: The draft guidelines were discussed at the August 2012 meeting of the IFLA Namespaces Technical Group in Helsinki, Finland. Further amendments to the guidelines were suggested; this work is ongoing.
- VocDay 2013: Managing Vocabularies, the full-day session at DC-2013, will take place on Friday September 6 2013 in Lisbon, Portugal.
- In preparation for DC-2013 in Lisbon, Portugal, the Task Group has become involved in a proposal for a full-day session. Task Group members and others interested in participating in the session are urged to look over the proposal and make comments or suggestions on the Task Group discussion list.
- The DCMI Bibliographic Metadata Task Group held its inaugural meeting on April 26, 2012 in London. The meeting identified a number of tasks for the Group for the remainder of 2012.
The group will continue to use the DC-RDA mailing list, in order to retain easy access to the discussion archive. To post, use this address: DC-RDA@JISCMAIL.AC.UK.
Prior to the DC-2011 conference, the co-Chairs of the DCMI/RDA Task Group (Gordon Dunsire and Diane Hillmann) reviewed its goals and activities in the light of the changing information environment of bibliographic metadata standards, linked data, and the Semantic Web. A proposal to expand and repurpose the Group was subsequently submitted to, and accepted by, the Dublin Core Advisory Board:
The DCMI/RDA Task Group Historical Archives are still available (moved from the old DCMI wiki):