DC2013 NKOS Workshop
DCMI/NKOS Task Group Workshop Minutes
9:00 to 12:30, Thursday, 5 September, 2013
DC-2013 International Conference, Lisbon, Portugal
Organizers: Marcia Zeng, Maja Zumer, Joseph Busch
Attendees: Marcia Zeng, Maja Zumer, Joseph Busch, Neubert Joachim, Makx Dekkers
Update on the progress made so far. (PPT given by Marcia included the data model, attributes and metadata elements, relationship vocabulary, and KOS types vocabulary).
Brief discussion on each part (see appendix for each part).
Focuses of the discussions ended with the following results:
1. We have registered a namespace http://purl.org/nkos At the moment it just point to our NKOS website but we will have a place for the declared nkos terms soon.
2. We will have these terms to declare (if follow DCMI's namespace pattern): five nkos elements (proposed as http://pur.org/nkos/terms/xxx about 15 nkosType terms (proposed as http://pur.org/nkos/nkostype/xxx)
3. Based on the discussion with Tom Baker, we will first make the vocabulary available, i.e., those terms listed above. DCMI will host the documents.
4. We would enter into the second stage of the NKOS Task Group to develop application profiles. Makx gave some great suggestions that we may have:
(1) DCterms-based AP for Linked Data use by nkos registries, and
(2) a DC-based one for those registries who have not got into Linked Data efforts.
5. We may extend to have one for schema.org-based for those who want to use in microdata and rdfa, and harvesters/aggregators. This is a new goal, not quite sure if everyone agree with these newer goals. As RDFa/RDFa lite is supported by Google etc., we should target on this instead of microdata.
6. After the meeting, Joachim will extend the RDF description of STW Thesaurus for Economics using some of the nkos AP terms.
The DCMI/NKOS Task Group’s overriding goal is to establish an Application Profile for describing the KOS Resources (NKOS-AP). Through the workshops at DC-2010 and DC-2011 and around a paper presented in DC 2012, the Task Group members have been actively involved in the development of the NKOS-AP. Currently the outcome of the Task Group include: NKOS Users and Use cases, Domain Model, Core Elements in the context of user tasks, NKOS AP Entity Relationships, and NKOS Attributes and Metadata Elements (with the mapping to DCMI terms and proposed elements). A wiki site  documents all of these results as well as an example explaining the attributes .
 http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/ Section 4.6.1